1.06.2009

Leftover-Roast-Pork Chili

I woke up Saturday morning to the sound of the phone ringing. It was a foursome of in-laws reminding me of the promise of lunch I had made to them on Christmas Day. One would think that two teachers with time off over the holidays would have been prepared for this, but of course, we had been too preoccupied by relaxation. I called my friend J for her chili recipe, knowing I probably didn't have enough time (they'd be here in an hour and a half!) but it was worth a shot. Alas, she was not home. What to do??? After a quick browse through the fridge, I knew that the leftover pork roast was my only hope. Thus was born "Leftover Roast Pork Chili." It made enough to fill five (Donnie was still full from his 6-egg-omelet-breakfast) with the other two men enjoying seconds. I served it with a 3-cheese semolina bread I bought at the local grocery store. Compliments abounded, but the best was that it was gone so quickly I didn't have time to take a good picture!


Ingredients:

1 16-oz. package Jimmy Dean Hot Pork Sausage
2 cups leftover roast pork, chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 medium-sized onions, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped (I used a red one and an orange one)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 28-oz. can tomato sauce
1 14-oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 14-oz. cans cannellini beans, drained
1 cup chicken broth
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons oregano
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper

Put olive oil in a large stock pot and heat it over medium-high heat. Put in the onions, peppers and garlic into the pot. Add salt and pepper to taste as well as Italian seasoning and oregano. Saute vegetables and seasonings for 5-7 minutes until vegetables are softened. Crumble the sausage into the pot and brown it, being sure to break down any large pieces. Add the roast pork and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add both types of tomatoes, the beans and the chicken broth. Place the two bay leaves in the mix. Stir it well and often, and let it simmer for at least 1/2 hour, up to one hour. Serve with crusty bread.

No comments: