1.03.2008

More Turkey - This Time It's Pot Pie

The turkey meat is almost gone. It lasted five meals - the fried turkey dinner, two turkey soup lunches each and one large pot pie that we had for dinner and then for leftover-lunch. A tasty and thrifty start to 2008. So about the pot pie, which obviously could be done with chicken and chicken broth. In a large saucepan, I melted 1/2 stick of unsalted butter. To that I added one medium chopped onion, two chopped celery stalks, and a bit of salt and pepper, and cooked those down until the onions were translucent. Now, if you're like me, you don't always have celery in the house, so go ahead and use 2 teaspoons of those dried celery flakes that are that are in the back of your spice cabinet. Then I added 6 tablespoons of flour and cooked, stirring for about four minutes. I stirred in my leftover two cups of homemade turkey stock, but again, store-bought is fine. I brought this to a boil, then reduced the heat and allowed it to simmer until it was pretty thick. I added a cup of milk (I'm pretty sure it was 2% - I use whatever I have), some salt and pepper, and stirred it some more. Then I went rooting around for some vegetables. I usually throw in two cups. In the past, I've used precooked veggies, like diced potatoes and carrots, but those all went into that delicious soup. So this time, I went with a cup of frozen corn and and some canned peas. Then, of course, two cups of the turkey meat, cut into bite sized chunks. When all of it was nicely mixed, I poured it into a casserole dish. I placed one thawed sheet of Pepperidge Farm puff pastry on top and put it in the oven at 400 for a half hour. It was a great dinner for a bitter cold evening - under the flaky pastry was a piping hot, creamy, chunky stew, enough for two dinner servings and a smaller portion of leftovers for tomorrow's lunch. After that, I think we'll both be turkey-ed out.

No comments: